Every internet user knows that Google is the most used search engine on the World Wide Web across all platforms, handling more than 5.4 billion searches every day. Today I’ll tell you some Unknown Facts about Google that You Should Know.
21 Unknown Facts About Google That You Should Know
Historical Facts About Google
- Google began in January 1996 as a research project led by Larry Page and Sergey Brin while both were Ph.D. students at Stanford University, California.
- Google’s first workspace was a garage on Santa Margarita Ave in Menlo Park, Calif which was rented from Wojcicki. Wojcicki became Google’s first marketing manager in 1999. She is Google employee number 16. Now, she has been the CEO of YouTube since February 2014.
Another interesting fact: Wojcicki was the first pregnant woman at Google.
- Sun Microsystems co-founder Andy Von Bechtolsheim was Google’s first investor. In August 1998, he initially invested $100,000 in Google.
- Google was originally named “BackRub” referring to its underlying backlink checking algorithm when its founders started working on their search engine in 1995. They decided to change its name to “Google!” In 1997.
- The name “Google” is actually derived from the mathematical term “googol” which is essentially 1 followed by 100 zeros. This means that the search engine can offer access to the huge information on the Internet.
- Google’s first storage was built from 10 Legos-protected 4GB hard drives, for a total of 40GB. It was used to store search engine indexed data at the very start of Google.
- Google launched its first homepage in 1998 with an exclamation mark like “Yahoo!” after one year of registration of its domain name “google.com“.
- The first doodle of Google was a drawing of man turned on behind the second “o” of “Google”. The doodle was designed by Larry Page and Sergey Brin to inform users of their absence in case the servers crashed. It was published on August 30, 1998 on the Google homepage.
- Google designers and illustrators team has designed over 2,000 doodles for the Google homepage since its first launch in August 1998.
Google was not accessible for two minutes on August 16, 2013. That while the worldwide internet usage reduced by 40%.
Initially, the homepage of Google was aligned on the right because the founders did not know the HTML language and wanted a simple interface.
Google has common misspellings of its domain, such as gooogle, gogle, googel, googil, googlee and googlr etc. Spelling mistakes are common, but Google has covered them. They have registered 14 misspelled domains of their homepage that will redirect you to Google’s homepage.
- The first tweet send by Google was: “ I’m 01100110 01100101 01100101 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101100 01110101 01100011 01101011 01111001 00001010 “ Its means “I’m Feeling Lucky”
Do you know about “I’m feeling lucky” button in google? This feature originally allowed users to enter their search query, click the button, and be directed to the first result without going through the search results page. This feature costs Google $110 million a year. Because it bypasses all ads on search result page.
Google has been promoting safe sex to its employees. Google gives its employees free condoms that come in red, green, blue and yellow and have the slogan “I’m Feeling Lucky!” printed on them.
- Do you know, there is a mirror version of Google.com called “Google Mirror” with horizontally flipped search results. It is also called elgooG, in which all the text of the web pages has been reversed. Terms used for searches have also reversed. Google Mirror (elgooG) is accessible from the “Great Firewall” of China.
Google rents goats from a company called California Grazing. Shepherd brings about 200 of them to campus and they wander for a week eating the grass. These goats also fertilize the land at the same time. According to Google, they find the goats much more adorable by mowing the lawns than the machines.
Google is a dog-friendly company and it allows its workers to bring their dogs to office. All members, from Senior Vice President to less experienced staff, have the opportunity to bring their dogs with them!
- Alphabet Inc. is the parent company of Google, which was created by the founders of Google on October 2, 2015. Alphabet took over everything that was running by Google.
When a Google employee dies his family receive half salary from the Google for next 10 years and his children receive $1,000 per month until they are 19.
Fun Facts About Google
I’m 01100110 01100101 01100101 01101100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01101100 01110101 01100011 01101011 01111001 00001010
— Google (@Google) February 26, 2009
I hope you have found valuable information from this article. Please share these Unknown Facts about Google with your friends on social media.